- Change your locks. If you have recently moved into a new house or rental you may want to consider changing your locks. There is nothing more worrying then not knowing how many keys can access your property and you can never be 100% certain that the builders or real estate/past tenants have handed back all the keys. For a small price and peace of mind this should be one of the first things you do along with connecting power/water to any new property.
- Install a motion sensitive light above your front door and drive way. You won’t have to struggle finding keys when entering your house at night. You will have the safety of being able to see who is at your front door or if anyone is in the drive way at night before opening/getting out of your car. Anyone trying to break in to a house does not want to be seen install a motion light can be one of the best deterrents.
- Make sure you have good quality locks installed and that they work as intended. A simple door lock is not enough security for your home theses can be forced open. You need to ensure you have good quality deadbolts installed on all external doors this includes your garage to house. Always get your locks installed and checked by a qualified locksmith.
- Most newly built houses are designed with a window next to the front door or built in to the door itself. This can be a major security issue as a criminal could easily break the window and reach around and unlock your front door or even reach for any keys left in the locks or near the front door.
- Never hide a key in your mailbox, plant or under your door mat these are the most common place someone will look. Instead install a key safe securely to a wall or buy a padlock key safe to install on a side gate or meter box out of the way. This is one product you do not want to go cheap on look for something sturdy and secure made from metal. Plastic ones can be broken quite easy.
- A home safe is one of the best investments a home owner or tenant can make. Safes are designed to be heavy and almost impossible to open. Safes can be used to store the following Passports, Cash, jewelry, Flash drives and documents for added safety you can invest in a Fire safe to keep your documents safe in the case of a house fire.
- All your house windows should have window locks installed. They help prevent your windows from being forced open. Criminals do not like drawing attention to themselves and will be less likely to try and gain access through a locked window.
If you live in the North western suburbs of Melbourne and are looking at upgrading or securing your property contact Shield Locksmiths. We can provide you with a free home security survey and any advice required for securing your home.